The new David Crighton Fellowships is now available on offer to pursue research for the year 2019. Fellowships are available for international students.
The University of Cambridge is one of the world’s oldest universities and leading academic centres. It is made up of over 150 departments, faculties, schools and other institutions.
The Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP) is one of two Mathematics Departments at the University of Cambridge, the other being the Department of Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics (DPMMS). The two Departments together constitute the Faculty of Mathematics, and are responsible for the teaching of Mathematics and its applications within the Mathematical Tripos.
- Applications Deadline: January 31, 2019
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are in the subfield of applied mathematics concerned with fluid mechanics acounstics, waves and vibration.
- Scholarship Award: The David Crighton Fellowship award is to be used to cover actual travel and subsistence expenses, up to a maximum amount of £3,800, to facilitate two to three months study and research.
- Nationality: Fellowships are available for international students.
- Number of Scholarships: Four fellowships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Fellowships are available for international students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Under normal circumstances we would expect fellowships to be taken up within 12 months of the successful candidates being notified of the outcome of the competition. Candidates based outside of Cambridge will have the opportunity to undertake study and research in Cambridge, whereas award winners currently based in Cambridge can utilize funds to travel elsewhere, Applicants should normally by in the second half of their PhD research, or have no more than three years postdoctoral experience.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: To be considered for an award, the following documents should be submitted by email to the Head of Department’s Secretary hod-sec-at-damtp.cam.ac.uk
- Brief Curriculum Vitae
- Description of the candidate’s research topic, limited to one page
- Statement of the benefit that can be expected from the proposed period of study
- Letter from the proposed senior host stating that he or she agrees to accept the candidate to study with them between specified dates, countersigned by the host’s Head of Department
- Detailed statement of expected travel and subsistence expenses
- Full contact details for two academic referees (name, address, telephone number and email address). Referees should be asked to send letters of recommendation directly to hod-sec-at-damtp.cam.ac.uk. Letters should include details of assessment of the applicant’s suitability for a David Crighton Fellowship including the benefits the candidate is likely to gain from the visit.